Friday, June 03, 2011

Sverige Cup in paragliding

Right now I am walking through a forest on a little dirt road following a stream. The air is full of bird song, the sound of running water and the lovely scent of wild forest.
I am in Dalarna in Central Sweden, participating in the paragliding competition Sverige Cup. After taking off at Tallhed airstrip outside Orsa I flew towards Edsbyn, following the set track for the competition. At first I gained more than 1.100 meters of altitude and had the most fabulous view of Dalarna. This is forest countries, crisscrossed by creeks, rivers and lakes.
When reaching max altitude and running out of lift I headed for Edsbyn, 62 kilometers away. Unfortunately I didn't find any more thermals and after maybe seven kilometers I had to land in a clearing the lumberjacks left.
Packing the glider I marvelled at the scenery while texting the competition organisers that I was safely down. I didn't come far but it seems no-one else left the take off-area, at least at that time.
Now I am hiking towards the closest village, four kilometers away while carrying my 20 kg equipment. Life is full of adventures!

No comments: